The Challenges Ahead
in Ohrid, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia [FYROM
This special meeting is organized by the EMA jointly with the ISFC, and hosted by Ss. Cyril and Methodius University, Skopje. The meeting is open to anyone interested in fungal conservation in Europe and beyond. This announcement provides information about registration for the meeting, its preliminary programme, the venue, accommodation, costs, and transport.
Fungal conservation is on the move:
- governments are starting to include fungi in their conservation policies;
- the IUCN has prioritized fungi for red-listing at a global level;
- a ground-breaking initiative is making that priority happen;
- a UK-based project is searching for species which are apparently rare and have not recorded for years, to determine if they are truly extinct or merely overlooked;
- molecular techniques are being introduced as tools for fungal conservation;
- biological records databases for fungi are entering their second generation and are now reaching a size which can start to provide meaningful information.