Awarded to an outstanding mycologist early in their career. The nominees will be evaluated primarily on the basis of quality, originality, and quantity of their published work.
In 2014 during IMC10 the following members were decorated with the Young Mycologist Award:
- Dr. Guanghua Huang - Keisuke Tubaki Medal
- Alison Bennett - Elias Magnus Fries Medal
- Dr. Olinto Liparini Pereira - Carlos Luis Spegazzini Medal
- Dr. Peter G. Kennedy - Arthur Henry Reginald Buller Medal
- Nourou Soulemaine Yorou - Ethel Mary Doidge Medal
- Dr Sandra Abell-Davis - Daniel McAlpine Medal
In 2010/2011 the following members were decorated with the Young Mycologist Award:
- Lei Cai - Keisuke Tubaki Medal
- Cecile Gueidan - Elias Magnus Fries Medal
- Luis Fernando Gusmao - Carlos Luis Spegazzini Medal
- A. Elizabeth Arnold - Arthur Henry Reginald Buller Medal
- Marieka Gryzenhout - Ethel Mary Doidge Medal
- Ceri Pearce - Daniel McAlpine Medal
General and specific Requirements:
- An individual may receive the same IMA Award only once.
- Self nomination is not allowed.
- Nominators must be members of the IMA.
- Nominees who are not chosen for the prize, may be re-nominated for up to two additional terms (within the year limit linked to the specific award).
- Nominees must have received their PhD within the 10 year period immediately preceding January 1st of the year in which the award is given.
For each region (RMMO) a separate award is provided. Committees representing the various regions evaluate proposals from their members for the Young Mycologist Medal, and recommend a single candidate to the IMA.
- Keisuke Tubaki Medal - Asian Mycological Association (Asia)
- Elias Magnus Fries Medal - European Mycological Association (Europe)
- Carlos Luis Spegazzini Medal - Latin American Mycological Association (Latin America)
- Arthur Henry Reginald Buller Medal - North America (MSA & Canada)
- Ethel Mary Doidge Medal - African Mycological Association (Africa)
- Daniel McAlpine Medal - Australasian Mycological Association (Australasia)
Next application deadline:
RMMO IMA Young Mycologist Award committees announce award competitions to their members on October 15, 2017. Nominations must reach the relevant RMMO IMA Young Mycologist Award committees by January 15, 2018. RMMO IMA Young Mycologist Awardcommittees must submit their choice to the IMA by February 15, 2018. Recipients will be notified at that time to plan for attending IMC11. For further download see PDF at bottom.
Documents required (nomination folder should contain):
- A nominating letter, including a detailed evaluation of the nominee’s contributions to Mycology.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Nomination form.
Notes: Awards consists of a certificate and free registration to the upcoming IMC. The Committee may choose to make no award in a given year, if it is appropriate. Presentation of the awards will take place at the awards ceremony at the IMC meeting.